Friday, March 27, 2009

Audiology

Roger watched Wyatt for us again on Thursday so Rus could go down to EA. Roger claims to enjoy it. Well, for the most part. There was about an hour when both Wyatt and Hana were crying alternately. Once Roger would put either of them down, they would start to cry so he ended up holding both of them at the same time. Once he put them down together, they entertained each other. Still Roger exclaimed "Oh thank God!" when Rus showed up.

We had a hearing test for Wyatt today and he did not pass. It seems he has fluid in his ears so next Friday we see the ENT doc again (Gotschall, same one we saw in NICU for the cyst) to see what we need to do about it. Wyatt was supposed to get tubes in his ears when he has his cleft palate fixed in Sept, but there is a chance he might need them sooner. I am not thrilled with the idea of him having anesthesia yet again, but maybe the Dr. will decide on another course. I guess antihistamines are an option, but again I am not thrilled with giving him more medication.

The testing was conducted in a small room constructed inside a normal office. Wyatt sat on my lap. Rus was across from him, slightly to the left and made sure Wyatt had a toy to play with. We were instructed not to talk or indicate in any way to Wyatt where the noises were coming from. The tech called to Wyatt from two speakers, alternately, from the left and right. It was clear Wyatt was only hearing at an increased volume. He turned very distinctly to the right, but when the sound came the left speaker, Wyatt looked at Rus.

So, we have an appointment with Gotschall next Friday. We have a craniofacial clinic on the 9th and we would see ENT then, but I prefer to see Gotschall and seeing him at the craniofacial clinic is not guarunteed.

We missed Wyatt's PT appointment today because of the audiology appointment, so we are going to make it up on Monday. I will miss it unfortunately.

I think that Wyatt is becoming more aware that he is unable to move under his own power and he is getting progressively frustrated. I think one of the problems is he is still doing "frog legs." He won't keep his knees under him in crawling position. I am not sure how to help him. Lisa suggested having him sleep on his side, but we haven't done that yet. We are thinking about using the sleep positioner around his thighs so he can't keep his legs flopped out in frog-position when he sleeps.

We are still trying to figure out the two naps a day thing. Wyatt ended up exhausted and hysterical by 6pm and was out by 6:30. He usually goes to bed at 7:30-7:45pm. I have no idea when he will wake up tomorrow morning. Rus got up with him this morning at 6am. I was supposed to get to sleep in, but I really couldn't and was out of bed by 7:30am. I guess that is sleeping in sort of.

We went for a walk with Roger and Ed today. Ed has started to send us house listings. I tentatively said around 550,000 and so far everything he has sent me has been 599,999 - 625,000. All beautiful, but too much for us. Of course, I haven't even bothered to figure out how much we can afford. I also guessed at putting down 10%.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.