Friday, March 12, 2010

Poop County, California

In the past week Wyatt has had viral gastroenteritis, which means he has had diarrhea and vomiting over several days. The first night awoke at 1am and I couldn't get him down again until 4:30. I think in retrospect, part of the problem was me. I didn't want to lay him down. He puked four times. Poor guy. I had to keep waking Rus up to help me. Not that he was sleeping much. It's hard to sleep when you are waiting for the next up-chuck. I eventually went to sleep with Wyatt on the couch. He nearly ended up shoving me off the edge though.

That was Saturday morning. Wyatt slept in until 8am and a short time later the diarrhea started. He generally had one crazy diarrhea diaper a day. Thankfully, I still have those blue disposable pads from the hospital when I had Wyatt. They are great for laying under poopy toddlers.

Tuesday morning I started having sharp cramps and feeling really nauseous. It started just after midnight. I figured I caught Wyatt's bug. I am not surprised since I seem to instinctively put my hand out to catch barf. I can't stop myself. I have tried. (One night I have to admit I forgot to wash my hand and it was a hard decision to make to get out of bed to wash it. I was so tired, but being pregnant I am also very smell adverse.) I called the Kaiser advice nurse and talked to a nurse in L&D. She thought it sounded like I had a stomach bug too.

All I could do was lie around and sleep. Thankfully, Rus took Wyatt out on a couple of excursions because Wyatt does not respect sleeping boundaries of any kind. I hardly ate anything on Tuesday. By that evening I was running a fever. I was out from work Tuesday and Wednesday. By Wednesday the fever had broke and I got my appetite back around 2pm big time.

Wyatt was out of day care all this week. Vanessa told Rus that they had had to send a couple of kids home with the same.

Wyatt's vomiting had stopped for Tuesday night but Wednesday night I gave him some milk. Rus advised against it, but I couldn't help it once Wyatt asked for it and signed it, too. So he threw-up again. Rus took him to Kaiser yesterday and the doctor said it sounds like there is a build-up of phlegm in his lungs, but doesn't sound like pneumonia. The phlegm is probably making him cough and throw-up. We are starting the pulmicort twice a day again and giving him albuterol too. He can't have milk for a while, not even soy milk.

My first thought when I heard mucus and lungs was cystic fibrosis. Then I thought, but I was screened for that. Then I thought well, that was just a screen it isn't definitive. I was close to emailing Dr. Saba, then I said I needed to get a hold of myself.

I am having a very hard time keeping it together later. Patricia's treatments, Jane being sick, anniversary of David's death, getting close to gestational age where things started to go wrong with Wyatt . . . There is a lot to be worried about and I was starting to feel like something must be wrong with Seth. And why wasn't I barfing or havng diarrhea if I had a stomach bug? Maybe I had a bladder infection. Maybe the sharp pains were contractions. What the hell do I know? I didn't go in to labor last time.

I emailed Dr. Walton to ask if I could see him sooner (I have an appointment next Thursday). Then the following day I realized he had told me he was on vacation. The next day I started to feel like I was being a complete asshole.

Today Dr. Walton actually called me. He can tell I am freaking out. He knows my kind. He asked if I wanted to go to L&D. I said no. He asked if I wanted an NST on Monday. I said yes. He said he could meet me there He asked it the baby was moving. Yes. I felt very sheepish. I didn't feel like getting in to a long conversation about me losing it. I really did feel like I was going to lose it. This started before I even got sick.

I am just spiralling out of control with worry about everything and every one. This is just hormones, right? Hormones or not, this is a crazy time. I forgot to mention we told SmallTrans that we are taking Wyatt out after April 1st. Rus will have him at home until I go on leave. However, I do want to see if we can find a new day care for Wyatt. One that will work with his gross motor issues instead of keeping him with a bunch of little babies because he isn't walking consistently yet.

Plus, there is the whole moving thing that isn't going to happen on it's own. I actually looked at pre-qualifying for a home loan with BofA and USAA today. Then I realized I have no fucking idea what points are. Sure, I can look it up. There is just too much to do.

In the mean time my work is suffering. When I am away from Wyatt I get really scared about him. So work is the primary place I freak out. And my boss is talking about trying to get me a promotion when I get back. Ugh! Not that we couldn't use the money, of course, but I don't want more responsibility. I want less!

Lastly, I am starting to have a lot of discomfort in my pelvis. You know that thing where the ligaments stretch and your pelvic girdle starts to separate (or something like that). It mostly bothers me when I sit for a while and then stand up. I am walking ever so slowly. Tylenol helps marginally. Seth is kicking my bladder big time and making me even more uncomfortable.

1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.