Rus and I were able to go to an open house at Mills College Children School. It's affiliated with the education department at the school and has master teachers along with graduate students as teachers. It's a lab school and goes from five months through 6th grade. Both Rus and I really liked it. We think we will apply, but we hear they only take 1 in 3 applicants.
Also, we went for a visit at the Grandlake Montesorri today with one of the teachers. I had already been on a tour, so this was Rus' first chance to see the school. He thought it was OK. I think it is OK. Wyatt went with us and seemed fine there. I am concerned about the Montesorri hands-off, each child at their own place philosophy. It seems so counter to early intervention. On the other hand, I was impressed that the kids unpacked their own lunches, put them on plates, poured their own drinks in to open cups and washed their plates at the end. They have eliminated all plastics from anything related to eating. So the kids eat on little china plates and use little metal cups.
I have gotten some other recommendations - Lakeshore Children's Center, Claremont Day Nursery and Daisy Developmental Center. All are in the 1200-1300/month for full time. My co-worker who lives in Fremont pays $750, but I haven't found anything like that here. Tammy pays $515 for two full days, she's in Dublin, and Roger and Ed's school in Orinda is $1400/month. We have a tour with Lakeshore Children's Center next week. And we will probably also go to the Oakland Garden School.
One could go crazy with this crap.
One thing we need to decide is how much care we need. Frankly, I think we should do part-time for Wyatt and give ourselves a break fianancially, but if it was only $200 more a month it wouldn't be a big deal. I don't know if it's the best situation for Wyatt and it would mean Rus would only be doing freelance work from home. But it's only until Wyatt goes to school and then Seth could go to full-time preschool. I am not half so worried about The Moosie, of course.
We tried to give notice at day care for Seth. We told them the circumstances. Vanessa said she wanted to keep Seth two days and we just need to figure out what we can pay. I guess it's a good idea to keep in good graces with them in case Rus gets a full time job in the near future. Anyway, they just love Seth there. He's such a good boy.
Except for the waking up in the middle of the night. Grr.
Did I mention I now refer to Seth's thighs as the "Easter Hams." Sometimes I call Seth "Hams" for short. Putting lotion on his legs is "glazing the hams" and putting on pants is "packaging the hams" Rus has told me I need to stop. I have said I will not stop, but I can't think of another good ham-related zinger. (Your ideas in the comments.)
For Christmas, or maybe my birthday, I got a necklace (well, two really, but I am only talking about one of them) I love from Patricia and Glynn. For my birthday, I bought myself a pair of matching earrings. Twice now I have lost one of the earrings. Once I found it in the driveway four days later. Today I had it drop down an open grate and fall on a ledge while I was walking down the street. I couldn't get my fingers in to get it. So I came back later with my boss, a ruler and some chewing gum. This man on the street ended up getting it out with a little help from Tina and her glasses. These are magical earrings that keep coming back! I am not going to wear them again until I get some rubber backs for them.
I am going for a second interview next week. But I really don't think I want this job. Now I have to think of why I can't take it. Assuming I get it of course. I hope I don't.
Friday, February 11, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.