We were lucky that the ER was not busy when we were there and we made it out in about an hour. Wyatt did not like having his pressure taken. The worst part was the injection in to the area with an anesthetic, but I have to say Wyatt was so good and so brave. He impressed everyone. By the time the doctor draped him over his face, he fell asleep. The nurse bandaged his head quite substantially as you can see below.

And here is the picture of the stitches I took so I could show them to him and also to distract him while I applied polysporin. We have to go back on Sunday to get the stitches out.

Tonight Wyatt and Rus are in the Kaiser Santa Clara Hospital Sleep Center getting Wyatt setup with CPAP. Last week Rus took Wyatt to a sleep clinic in Oakland with the hopes to rule out sleep apnea (I posted the pictures from that in the previous post). We had discussed sleep apnea with the Craniofacial Clinic, maybe a year ago, because of his snoring, but then they said that they usually remove the adenoids and they don't like to do that with kids with cleft palates because the adenoids can help with speech. We decided not to pursue it.
However, recently I read a story about a study showing that 40% of kids that snore need special ed services by age eight for behavioral problems due to behavioral problems. I have also been more concerned with how tired and grumpy Wyatt has become. And so thin when he eats so much. So, I asked Dr Saba what we should do and she ordered the sleep study. A sleep study involves staying over night in a room where you are monitored. There are contacts all over the head and straps around the chest. Rus said Wyatt tolerated it all very well. He did wake at 4am and wanted nothing to do with the nasal cannula. By then they had enough data and Rus just brought Wyatt home.
We got the call on Monday that Wyatt has severe sleep apnea and they asked us to bring him in tonight to get a CPAP. The doctor also referred us to ENT and pulmonology. It is very likely that the ENT would recommend removal of the adenoids and possibly tonsils. It's a pretty common treatment for sleep apnea in children. If the surgery is successful, then we would not have to use the CPAP anymore. I was able to get the pulmonology appt. pretty quickly as they called me the next day, but Head and Neck . . . on the sixth call I finally got through and we have an appointment tomorrow. Since Wyatt is already scheduled for surgery on 10/12 for the hydrocele/hernia surgery, we are trying to see if we can coordinate this with possibly getting his adenoids out.
Our refrigerator also went out last Sunday. Sears is FINALLY going to send someone out tomorrow. Rus had just stocked up at Costco. We had gone to Trader Joe's and gotten my lunches for the week. There has also been a massive heat wave here to the food we threw out is starting to smell pretty bad. It was not good.
Hopefully, I will hear something from Rus soon about Wyatt being asleep and using the CPAP.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.