Well, Wyatt's sleep study didn't go so well. He wanted nothing to do with the CPAP machine as predicted. We saw the ENT today who recommended partial removal of the adenoids, complete removal of the tonsils and they would take a peak at his ear tubes (they were put in last April). The adenoid removal is partial due his cleft palate and their concern his palate won't function with some adenoid tissue. They should be able to coordinate with the hydrocele (maybe hernia) surgery. It all goes down on 10/12. Because he is having more than one procedure it is likely he will stay over a night.
Since we already had the hydrocele surgery scheduled so soon, and the ENT has agreed to perform the other procedures at the same time, there is really no need to do the CPAP anyway because by the time they get it ordered and delivered he will have had the surgery. So, that sleep study was a huge waste of time! We will have to go back in 2.5 months to repeat the sleep study though to see how the surgery impacted his oxygen levels. It is possible the surgery will work perfectly, but it is also possible they will remove too much and he will need surgery of the palate or they take too little and he still has apnea.
The sleep doc (what do they really call themselves I wonder?) also referred us to an allergist and recommended we see an orthodontist who specializes in "long face syndrome" (caused my extensive mouth breathing - jaw goes slack, face elongates, other stuff I don't remember since I am sort of overwhelmed). Since we have a craniofacial clinic in January with the an orthodontist, I might wait on the "long face" consult.
The allergist's office called almost immediately after we got off the phone with the sleep doc and wanted to set up an hour and a half appt at five today. After confirming that allergy testing is just as barbaric as I remember, I took her number and said I would call her back.
I mean, we have had a sleep study with CPAP, three stitches in the ER on Tuesday night, and a visit to the ENT doc. (Well, we saw Dr. Hillsinger, the guy who did Wyatt's ear tubes in April of this year and he was pretty mellow and not too pushy about seeing Wyatt's throat and nose. So that wasn't too bad.) We were supposed to see Shay, but Rus got us released over the phone since we had the surgery scheduled.
And we have to get the stitches out on Sunday. So no, we aren't going to be doing 1.5 hours of allergy testing anytime soon.
Anyway, in case you are wondering why I wanted Wyatt tested for sleep apnea in the first place. He snores, he has snored for as long as I remember. Over I would say the last 6-9 months he has gotten progressively more tired. He gets tired easily running around with other kids. He's very grumpy. I didn't realize it before but the fact that he is so skinny probably is the result of the apnea because he expends so many calories breathing. He also sweats profusely while he sleeps. There have been many moments when I looked at him and said to Rus that Wyatt was behaving the way he was because clearly he is exhausted. There seems to be a strong correlation between sleep apnea and ADHD. His lymph nodes in his neck are also slightly swollen and I am wondering if his adenoids are possibly infected? Is that possible? Anyway, I had also saw an article on a recent study that discussed behavioral issues with children that have sleep apnea and I decided I needed to get it done.
So, surgery on 10/12 for hydrocele repair, tonsilectomy, and superior adenoidectomy. I have already taken the day off.
And our refrigerator works again. All it took was 10 minutes for the fix and five days for them to get their sorry asses out here.
Thursday, October 4, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.