Thursday, April 8, 2010

Easter and other stuff

We had a wet, cold-filled Easter this year. We decided to keep the activities low-key and in doors. While I fed Wyatt breakfast, Rus hid some eggs. After breakfast, I told Wyatt we were going to look for "eggies." Everytime he found an egg he would show it to us and say "eggies?" He was particularly fond of eggies filled with graham cracker bunnies. He calls bunnies "hop hop."

We have been working on saying "please" lately instead of whining. Sometimes he says a perfect "please." Other times it's "cleez." He is just starting to put two words together like "no night night." I am sure you can imagine when he says that. He signed more and said mama tonight when I went in the bathroom. Yesterday morning Rus was rudely awoken to "dada night night." I keep trying to explain to Wyatt that people who go night night don't want other people yelling night night in their face, but he just doesn't get it. And any image that looks like the eyes are closed are "night night" of course. Jane, who sleeps almost all day, never stood a chance.

I stayed home the last two days sick. Wyatt clearly loved all the attention. He was pretty upsett when they dropped me off at work today. I felt horrible. I loved hanging out with Wyatt the past two days.

Wyatt has learned to get the caps off his markers now. When I came home today he had himself pretty well decorated in several places.

We have had to start the dreaded time outs with him. I can't remember if we mentioned that or not. For example, tonight he tried to take my glasses. When I told him no, he tried to bite me. He was more running his teeth along my belly more than biting. I told him no biting. And then he started to hit me. So Rus picked him up and sat him on the wicker chest for a minute. It resulted in a lot of tears, but he recovered quickly. I know that he understands he should not be doing whatever it is he is doing, but he just gets mad. We have reserved time outs for really bad behavior like biting or repeated hitting. We always give him another chance by telling him no, but telling him no usually sets him off.

Rus and Wyatt have completed a full week of Gymboree class. I think that Rus now knows many fantastic songs, but he is being too shy to share. Rus says Wyatt loves it and is exhausted by the end. He has no trouble getting him down for his nap.

We had the craniofacial clinic yesterday. Wyatt's hearing is great. Even better than last time. I nearly lost it laughing in the middle of the test. (And I am not meant to provide any sort of distraction, I am just supposed to sit there.) Basically, there are two boxes across from each other in the corner of a room. Wyatt sat on Rus' lap in the middle and someone outside the room would feed noise through speakers. When Wyatt looked in the direction of the sound, flashing lights would come on and reveal a teddy bear in the box. When he saw the bear he pointed and repeatedly said "moz." Moz is the name I gave his teddy bear from Paula that has the Morrissey t-shirt and plays Morrissey music. It was so funny.

After the hearing test we went for a speech evaluation. The speech therapist thought he was doing great. He tested at 19-20 months. He is around 19 months adjusted. So, no speech delays. She didn't think much of him still saying "nuk nees" for cookies because he clearly said other words with hard Cs. It was most likely just a habit since it was one of the first words he learned. She had an Elmo doll that both fascinated and terrified him. I think he has been pretty traumatized by the robotic Elmo at my mom's house. The ST kept trying to get him to do stuff with Elmo, because the first thing he said when he got in the office was "Elmo." Eventually though, he said "no Elmo" and I said it was probably best if she put Elmo away. I

also asked her about using a straw, since multiple people have recommended straw sippy cups. She didn't understand why I would bother with that. She said drinking out of a straw well is something kids generally due when they are more like two years old because it requires a lot of coordination. So, I am not going to bother. I just feel like moving on to a real cup. What is the point of transitioning sippys? I have a feeling I will change my tune when he goes back to day care. And drinking out of a cup has been hit or miss. Actually, he can drink out of a cup, he just likes to dump the contents and he doesn't like me to hold on the cup after a while. Oddly, he does like me holding up my bottle of mineral water so he can drink out of that. He's only had it after it went flat though.

I don't have much to report about the nurse coordinator that we saw except to say it was the "big head" lady. She said Wyatt sounded like he was wheezing a little, but maybe if he coughed that would help. She thought maybe we should take him in to see Saba next week if he still seemed like he is wheezing. Of course, we can't tell he is wheezing, but I made an appointment anyway.

With clothes and shoes on he weighs 28lb 5oz.

1 comment:

  1. I just snorted out loud over the "moz" bear. That's about the cutest thing I've ever heard.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.