Sunday, September 16, 2007

Fishy, Fish

I decided to try fish oil. I don't know if I am being totally stupid or not. While Barry Sears (of the Zone Diet) seems to have a lot to say about it, the Mayo Clinic website is a little bit more reserved. The Mayo Clinic has a great website where they review a particular supplement/drug/whatever and grade the validity of it for a particular use based on a review of studies. It's really a great idea.

So, I can't say that the Mayo clinic approves of my use of fish oil. Regardless, I figure as long as I don't take too much and start bleeding, I should be OK. The only real problem is taking it. It tastes foul, and the taste really stays with you. There is some orange oil in it too, which makes it smell nice, but whoever described it as "oranges and cream" on the Yahoo! Reproductive Immunology site is a big liar. I probably should have gotten the capsules.

I have been feeling more and more unsettled lately about IVIG and LIT. Well, LIT in particular. It is banned by the FDA in this country and the Beers clinic sends people down to Nogales, Mexico for treatment. Even IVIG is still controversial. The ASRM clearly states that there is no proven benefit to the use of either for RSA. Stilll I can't help thinking that immunity plays a part in all of this. Even the ASRM belives in APS. I know that when I get the test results back I will feel very confident about using Heparin and aspirin if I need too. I just don't know about IVIG. Unless I had a lot of convincing, I would not do LIT. It just seems ludicrous.

I need to get a second and third opinion on all of this.

Since when does medical treatment involve consensus building? When IVF costs $12,000 and IVIG would potentially add $2,800-$3,500 a treatment. I also don't want to be taken advantage of. I guess a lot of people get second and third opinions. It is just that the clock is ticking and DH has NO OPINION as usual.

I have an appointment scheduled with Dr. H for the 24th or 25th (I can't remember right now.). I will ask her what she thinks of all of this. She doesn't do IVF, but she is an RE. I was going to see Dr. P, as well, but the clinic called and told me that I needed to put a deposit on an IVF cycle scheduled for November, when they never told me that I was on the list in the first place. I am having serious doubts about the staff at that clinic. Too bad, I liked Dr. P. I think that I will try and get a consult with him anyway.

I guess I should consider that Dr. C. will be consulting with another doctor on the results of my blood work. Dr. Coulam I think. That makes me feel a lot better now that I think about it. And someone should probably point out that I am getting way ahead of myself. I haven't even gotten the results back yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.