Sunday, April 26, 2009

No peace for the wicked

As of today we are off of the Zegerid and Reglan. Hooray! It's all been going well so far. We actually stopped the Reglan two days ago.

We have been secretly mocking Roger and Ed because of their problems with Hana sleeping. Well, not mocking, but definitely thinking we are far superior parents because Wyatt sleeps through the night. The tables have turned however. Wyatt has started waking up at odd times.

Last night he woke up at 10pm crying. It took Rus some time to get him back to sleep. He also woke us up at 2am rustling around. I actually got up to look at him and he was pulling his knees up under him and then they would "frog out" to the sides. He kept doing it repeatedly until he actually got them to stay.

I think that his new found ability to roll around so freely has him running in to the sides of the crib a lot or getting stuck. We resorted to buying "breathable" crib bumpers today in a vain attempt to prevent him from waking himself up. I had refused to get bumpers for a long time, because of the SIDS risk, but these are breathable, and damnit I am tired and desperate.

Of course, maybe this has to do with him not adjusting well to going from three to two naps. He hasn't been sleeping as much during the day. Hmm, he has been awfully grouchy too. We thought he was teething again, but he could be grouchy from lack of sleep.

I was scared yesterday that his sleep problems and crankiness were related to him going off Reglan, but thankfully there are many alternate theories.

I was reading in the AAP book today that this is the time where babies often start waking back up again and they get scared because they are separated from their parents. It's the separation anxiety phase. We have to be diligent about allowing him to go back to sleep on his own. We usually do, and he usually does, but he doesn't typically wake up crying either.

On top of that Jane threw up some ten times last night. She must have been trying to get some plastic up, but could not. As soon as she was done throwing up she went and scoured the apartment for more plastic. And found some.

The only good news is Wyatt has been waking up after six in the morning.

I tried giving Wyatt cottage cheese today. He made a very serious, disappointed face and then started to cough. We moved on to apples and blackberries, but by then he had sort of lost it. I also steamed him some zucchini and pureed it in the food processor. I added it to the cottage cheese, so I am not sure if he hated it or not. Definitely he did not like the curds of the cottage cheese. I will try again tomorrow. It seems that whenever I go homemade it is something of a fiasco. And yet I continue to try.

We are spending more time working on drinking out a cup and sippy cup. I think after his surgery, he may not be able to use a bottle while he recovers. I actually let him drink out of a glass bottle of juice I was drinking today. He did really well and was VERY enthusiastic about the juice. Bad mom giving it to him. That was when Wyatt and I were out for a walk while dad stayed at home to work.

Rus has come up with a very obnoxious trick to get me to take Wyatt from him. He has Wyatt in his lap and then he turns on the most horrible thing on TV he can find. Wyatt watched someone being BBQ'd today before I plucked him out of Rus' arms.

I don't think they sit around watching horror films while I am at work. I hope not.

Speaking of horror films, "Let the right one in" is pretty good. It wasn't at all what I thought. I expected something more campy like True Blood. I am not saying it was really scary. The most disturbing scenes were when Oskar was being bullied, but I really did enjoy it.

So far tonight Wyatt has remained on his back. I wonder if he was just cold the other nights and was trying to curl in to a ball. I just asked Rus and he said that thought had occurred to him.

We are so bad at this. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.