Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Two-week appointment

Seth had his two-week check-up with Dr. Saba today. He weighed in at 9lb 12oz. We discussed his weight gain and Dr. Saba said not to worry about it. His weight gain is great. (One of the lactation consultants I saw was shocked he gained a pound in a week.) Otherwise, he is perfectly healthy. No shots today. He will get them at his two month appointment in six weeks.

We are still trying to breastfeed occasionally with bottle-feeding. Actually, as of my last lactation visit I am supposed to be doing something called "block feeding" where you alternate breasts each four hours in order to get my supply down a bit. My let down reflex is too fast and Seth gets overwhelmed. I need to position him so his butt is very low, almost like he is sitting up or in the side-lying position.

The appointment before that it was my supply was too low and I should start taking Goats Rue and More Milk Plus tinctures. I should use the football and cross-over holds.

Before that the LC wanted me to know it was OK to quit. Formula feeding is not the end of the world.

These are all different LCs from Kaiser. I think that the last LC I saw had the right idea. Using side-lying or upright positions. I am not supposed to pump anymore, but frankly it's too painful not to and we haven't managed to start nursing at every feeding yet so I am still pumping a little. I am also really scared that my supply will dry up. Good grief.

I have to say if I would have written this a week ago I would have said I hated breastfeeding just about as much as anything I have ever done. It's frustrating for both Seth and I. I just can't believe how much. I hear people talking about breastfeeding as this special bonding experience. It has been anything but that. In fact, I was dreading even feeding Seth at all and making all kinds of excuses to bottle feed him. I let the pumping and feeding schedules get totally out of sync. I am still not sure where this is headed to be honest. I have managed to do a couple more nursings to begin with.

Wyatt still tries to kiss Seth a lot, but it is clear he is over the lack of attention. we missed Gymboree today because of Seth's appointment and he is extra cranky about it. We are thinking about putting him back in to day care three days a week just so he gets some more stimulation. We will call Smalltrans and talk to them first. Vanessa actually called about three weeks ago, but we haven't really had a chance to call her back yet. We just need to make sure they put him in the toddler room of course. We may also check out the day care at the end of Boulevard. Roger also told us about a play group he and Hana area attending. It's free for first time attendees and they have speech and physical therapists present.

We took Wyatt and Seth to Hana's birthday party last Sunday. We had a good time. There was one crazy kid there that pushed Wyatt down. Wyatt got such a sad look on his face like he didn't understand why anyone would be mean to him. He was even more concerned when the boy's dad came over, grabbed him and yelled at him to apologize. Wyatt is just such a sweet guy. He doesn't like anyone to be upset or hurt. He's too sweet for this world. Of course, I had to fight all impulses to walk over and slap that little a-hole for pushing Wyatt myself. I don't like it when other kids are mean to Wyatt. It really upsets me. And Wyatt really likes to put himself out there and invade personal space so I see this as something that might continue to happen. Although there have not been any incidents at Gymboree. Wyatt is also the life of the party. People just love him. So I am not too worried.

I left the hospital with a breast pump I have a free 30 day rental on. I swore after Wyatt I wouldn't pump again, but here I am pumping already.

1 comment:

  1. With regard to breastfeeding, try not to over-analyze. I still recommend La Leche, their book and their meetings. Sometimes the practical advice of other nursing mothers trumps theoretical advice.
    You and Seth will figure it out, relax.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.