Saturday, December 11, 2010

The cow trantrum awards

Today Wyatt had the mother of all tantrums. The tantrum by which all other tantrums shall be judged. That goes for Seth too. We will call it The Cow Tantrum.

There is this little second hand children's clothing and toy shop on Grand Ave. We very rarely walked by it and I have only been in a handful of times. They recently moved to Lakeshore Ave. Now we walk by them every Saturday when we go to the Farmer's Market.

So far, when we go by we have only admired the window, which contains a huge stuffed giraffe, zebra, basset hound, golden retriever and elephant. Last weekend we ventured in and I bought Wyatt a cheap set of dinosaur plastic statue things. Today when we went in he was interested in the dinosaurs for a while. I sneakily bought him some more as a stocking stuffer.

Then Wyatt found two cows.

Although they were cheap, we decided we would not get in the habit of buying him something because we didn't want to buy him something every weekend. So we had him put the cows down and then we left. And then the tantrum began.

He screamed, cried, kicked, laid down on the sidewalk. He screamed, "I like cows." over and over and over again. He kept asking for the cows. He cried huge, fat tears. Nothing would console him, not the promise of waffle or Christmas trees. Not reminding him that he had cows at home. I was close to breaking. Rus stood firm. I had two moms tell me to stay strong. Finally, as we got close to the waffle guy he calmed down. We ate, listened to music, checked out the Christmas tree lot and then headed back to Trader Joe's to do some grocery shopping.

But Wyatt remembered the cows and that we had crossed the street and were not going back to the cows. And he lost it again. We made an extremely quick run of TJs.

When we got home we found one of his cows, but not the cow with the black spots. He refused to take a nap.

And then we went to Target later and there was a spotted cow in the $1 bin. So we got it.

I still don't understand. Why cows? Of all the stuff available, it was the cows that sent him over the edge.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe he remembers them from the children's farm in Berkeley. Guess you'll take another street the farmers' market from now on!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.