Monday, April 11, 2011

Sweet sweet Jane


This past Saturday we had to have Jane put down due to renal failure. It was a sad day we knew was coming. She had been losing so much weight lately, but she remained spry and demanding so we thought she was doing OK. Saturday morning she kept trying to poop and it was clear she was having a problem. Thinking it was just constipation, we left for the farmer's market and stopped by the vet.

We ended up getting Jane metamucil, as they recommended, instead of the old stand by of canned pumpkin. However, when we came home she was clearly exhausted from straining and from throwing up. She had thrown up and oozed stool every where.

I quickly cleaned up some vomit from the boys room and Rus went around the house removing pillows, blanks and cleaning everything. He then tried to clean Jane and called the vet. They told him to bring her in.

Rus told me it was very likely I wouldn't see Jane again to which I replied, "You don't know that." I said good bye to Jane, petted her and told her I would see her later.

Rus texted me from the vet that it was time for her to go. He stayed with her while she was put to sleep.

I still don't believe Jane is gone. I look for her in all the places she should be. I have to remind myself that I don't have to prop pillows against the glass so she can't scratch it. She doesn't show up and sit by me as I feed Seth in the middle of the night.

Wyatt asked where she was yesterday. I told him she was very, very sick and went bye bye. He told me she was a "Messy, messy Jane" and I told him that she was sometimes because she was old and got sick. I think I have heard him mention her since then but I couldn't catch the context.

I know people liked to talk about her being mean and make jokes (Rus incldued) about what a terrifying vicious cat she was. While they are right in some respects, she was also a very sweet cat to me and I know she loved me. Only one other person can say that.

So girl, tell satan I say hey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.