Well, lots of things were said. The end result is weekly physical therapy. Apparently, Wyatt isn't crawling correctly. We were told to focus on that at first. He uses his knees too much and doesn't put any weight on his lower legs. Then it was a problem he isn't squatting. We are supposed to work on having him squat to pick up things. There was also some discussion of putting a sheet around his hips while he uses his push toy so keep him from leaning forward so far. Apparently, he leans forward too much. His stance may also be too wide.
We were told he has low tone and his progress is completely typical for kids with low tone. Debbie said some people naturally have low tone and it is nothing to worry about. It's not like he has a neurological problem. (As a reminder, Dr. Malhotra says his tone is high, but not pathologically so.) Debbie also told us some statistic about only 50% of kids walking by 15 months or something. I can't remember now. Sharon kept saying that there was no doubt that he would walk, it was just a manner of when.
Anyway, given the number of crazy exercises they mentioned, and that Wyatt will most likely resist them at home. They felt it would be better if we came in once a week for a while.
Rus worked on squatting at home today. He said that Wyatt also stood up from the floor for the first time and walked two steps. Apparently, the squatting is already paying off. Ha. Ha.
Debbie also said, "How can someone so young be so charming?" It's a good question. She asked if he ever got upset. Rus and I both grunted and went on to explain the extreme protesting that was going on lately. No one seems to ever believe us. Or they say, "Yeah, sounds like typical behavior for his age."
I don't think I have ever mentioned how popular he is at day care. Everyone knows his name, whereas I know hardly any of the other children's names! He says hi to everyone kids, staff, parents. The toddlers are always excited to see him. He is unusually charming and charismatic.
Tonight I asked Wyatt if it was time to go night-night. He said "nigh-nigh" and crawled off towards his room. Rus looked at me quizzically and asked if Wyatt was off to bed. Seemed so. Then Wyatt cried when we actually put him in bed.
We have also started allowing Wyatt to feed himself with a spoon. He's pretty funny at it.
I don't understand curling.
Friday, February 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.