Dr. Shay prescribed amoxicillin and prednisone and upped his dose of Pulmicort, and within 48 hour Wyatt's cough was gone and - get this - so was the runny nose he's had since September. Now we're starting to suspect he had a sinus infection of some kind, which is a bit annoying. "Kids just have runny noses my ass. A good reminder to occasionally burn a few faces off at Kaiser, just to keep them honest.
He's now being very insistent that we walk him everywhere (holding on to our fingers); he gets very whiny if we try to put him in his stroller or car seat. Slightly annoying, but I have to admire his determination... he wants to do it himself. We've seen him trying to get up on his own a few times today. I have taken to calling him "Frankenbabbee" as his walking reminds me a bit of Frankenstein. I have asked Rus to remind me to stop calling him that.
Last Saturday, when he was feeling a bit better, we ran to the grocery store. Some where along the way he lost a shoe. I only noticed when we were using a self-scan register to pay for our groceries. (Note to self: never use a self-scan when you have more than 10 items to scan.) Since Wyatt wanted to get out of the cart and Rus was feverishly scanning, re-scanning and requesting assistance, I decided to take Wyatt with me. I didn't want to let him walk though because I wanted to make a QUICK circuit of the store. He screamed his head off and twisted in my arms. He hit me in the face several times. He pulled my hair. I didn't find his shoe. I should have been embarrassed, but honestly he was so out of control it was all I could do not to laugh at him.
We took him out to Ethiopian food on Valentine's Day. He cried almost the whole time he was in his seat. The only time he stopped was to yell at a slightly older child a few tables over. We ate quickly, paid quickly, left a good tip and got the hell out of there. I foolishly thought Wyatt might like Ethiopian food. Everything is stewed sort. The bread is soft. He took a few tastes and then wanted nothing to do with it. Except to play with the bread. Of course. When we left we walked him around several blocks before heading to the car. He still screamed and arched his back when we put him in his seat. He does this EVERY time now. It isn't that he just whines or hits me in the face either. He cries these big, fat tears too.
Wyatt has been so whiney and aggresive that I decided to email Dr. Shay and ask if his meds could be causing behavioral changes. Shay's answer was "Could be the pulmicort or albuterol." That was it. Thanks Dr. Shay. Thankfully, we don't have the use the albuterol all the time. He hasn't had it today, but his behaviour isn't much improved. The pulmicort we will reduce by one dose in around nine days when the two weeks are up. Hopefully, that will make a difference. I doubt it. The days of sweet babbee are over. In the meantime, I ordered a number of books on toddler activities and "Happiest Toddler on the Block."
I had the day off this past Monday for Presidents day, so we took Wyatt out to the train in Tilden Park, which he seemed to alternately love and hate. First, he was pretty pissed when we got on the train. He kept trying to climb out and walk. He spent most of the ride smacking his lips, which seemed like a stress response to me. There were two little tunnels and both times coming out his eyes were as big as saucers. He did like watching the train.
Tomorrow we have a follow-up PT appointment with Debbie Patrizi and Sharon White at Kaiser. This coming Tuesday four people are coming from RCEB to re-evaluate Wyatt. He has made a lot of progress lately. He is now saying "Hi" and "Bye" and waving to everyone. He says "see" and "say". I think he might have actually said "see kitty" today. He identifies both Oma and Opa in pictures.
Oddly, he hasn't learned to say "no" yet.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.