Sunday, October 26, 2008

My friend Rex

When we stopped in Rockridge Kids to find a sun hat for Wyatt (well, one that fits him anyway), Rus fell in love with a T. Rex puppet. I couldn't leave without buying it for him. Wyatt loves Rex. He's a lot of fun.

There is really nothing better than a child and a puppet. Really.

When I was little my dad used to do puppet shows for my brother Chris and I. They always involved an elephant being attacked by Oscar the Grouch. Oscar would sneak up behind the elephant and we would scream "HE'S BEHIND YOU!!!" The elephant never saw it coming. It was beyond frustrating and brilliantly entertaining. I believe my Dad may have made the puppet theater. I also believe that the puppet theater became our future play house in the backyard. I don't know what became of the puppets. My parents have recently started to collect puppets. I believe the grandchildren are in for torture. I mean a treat.

We had a really rough 24 hours. I couldn't sleep because I ate some bell peppers that gave me horrible indigestion. At midnight I was still awake. Rus offered to go to bed and take my shift. Usually Rus does the midnight - 2 am shift and I do the 4-6 am shift. I put Wyatt down at around 1:45 am and he started to stir at 3:15 am. I suggested that Rus let him go a little longer before feeding him. The next time Wyatt stirred and I woke up was 6 am. I thought Rus was feeding him again and it was my turn, but Rus didn't feed him at 3:15 am.

Rus found Wyatt with his NG tube out. He was able to feed him his 90 ML anyway. I finally got up at 8 am and went out to find Wyatt crying and the Rus despondent. Rus had had 3 hours of sleep because he didn't go back to sleep at 3 am. He just waited up thinking Wyatt would get up shortly.

We fed Wyatt 70 ML and 72 ML at his next two feedings. We then went for a walk around 3:30 pm. Wyatt cried the whole time. Finally as we turned on to Boulevard Way he had a major regurgitation. I think he gurged so bad because he was so upset the whole time. Rus ended up taking him out of his stroller and carrying him the rest of the way home.

When we got home he was still crying so first I gave him a bath, which he enjoyed until I took him out. Then we tried feeding him a small bottle with a new nipple. He worked at it for some time but only got about 8 ML and fell asleep. Then we went to put in the NG, which is never pleasant.

He only drank about 25 of his last bottle. The new nipple is not working and the old nipple is too worn out now. We ended up gavaging the rest of the feed. He had one small gurg and I picked him up and held him so he was on his belly against my chest. He is totally out right now. Rus and I are exhausted.

Jane has been furiously soliciting attention by chewing my iPod cable and the tubing on Wyatt's feeding pump bag. Poor thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.