Thursday, May 21, 2009

Baa, Baa, I'm a kebab

Lisa was here yesterday because she won't be here on Friday. She decided to do Wyatt's one year evaluation. She said she will amend it between now and his birthday. She didn't do the Bayley test, which is what they did at the Regional Center and at the NICU follow-up clinic.

Those evaluations are just so weird. They seem to subjective. Most of the evaluation was based on questioning Rus and I where Lisa hadn't seen Wyatt do something. We often answered differently, or hadn't really had any experience with something - like seeing his response to no because we don't say no that often.

One of the funniest things that happened was she asked if Wyatt answers to his name or to tone. Rus said name and I said tone. We called him a few times saying Wyatt monotone and then how we usually say it. He only responded when it was said in a certain tone. Lisa said the real test would be to wait a few seconds and then call him something else in the same tone. So I waited. And then I called him Goldfish. He turned on the second call. So now we have been calling him goldfish. Of course, part of the problem is that I call him all manner of different names. I remember Rus' friends, Jeff and Kiersten, getting dinged for not calling Zoe by her name enough.

We all stayed home sick today. What a drag it has been. I think that I am starting to feel better a little bit. I kept waking up last night because my nose was stuffed.

When we went to Trader Joe's today I got a little separated from Rus and Wyatt (in his stroller). It was interesting to observe the two of them. Women stop and talk to Wyatt a lot more when Rus is pushing him. The two of them are such a pair of flirts.

Rus was reading Wyatt's favorite book "Quack Quack" to him tonight before bed. One of the pages is lamb with a soft back. You read "Baa Baa, stoke the lamb's back and find out how wooly her coat is" or something like that. Rus was reading "Baa, Baa, I am a kebab." He distorted all the pages that way.

Wyatt managed to pull himself up on the side of his crib today. He remained on his knees, but it the first time I have seen himself pull himself up like that. It was exciting to see and worrying.

Speaking of worrying, last night I turned my back on Wyatt in the tub to check the time in the living room and the next thing I know he is up on his arms over the edge of his tub with his forehead planted in to the faucet. He cried pretty hard. He must have fallen over on it. It made quite an impression on his forehead. I felt horrible and scared. Rus had to calm me down.
I thought he would have a huge bruise today, but it was very small. You can hardly see anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.