Saturday, December 12, 2009

Sarah, Sarah, Sarah

I went over to Sarah's yesterday for a playdate with her son Luke. Luke is Wyatt's adjusted age. It was something of a complete disaster. She didn't get my email telling her I would be there at noon. She called me when I was parking outside her place to ask me if I was still coming.

Luke hit Wyatt several times. I don't feel like Sarah takes it seriously enough. I could see a couple of times, but good grief. He just kept hitting him. And he threw a lego and hit Wyatt in the head. He's a little creep.

She kept telling me that Wyatt needed his nose wiped. That drives me crazy. She kept saying maybe he has a sinus infection, he sounds really congested. I kept telling her he was JUST AT THE DOCTOR'S and SHE didn't say to do ANYTHING. What exactly does she think the doctor was going to do if he is congested?

Sarah said she would watch Wyatt while I was in the bathroom. When I came out she was in the kitchen with Luke. Wyatt was no where to be found. I decided he was mostly likely on the stairs. He was. Just as I saw him as I rounded the corner he feel backwards off the stairs and hit his head on the tile. It made a pretty loud sound and he screamed. Sarah was apologetic. I played it off, but I was pretty mad. I also didn't want to go to the bathroom again and leave him. Try that while pregnant.

I find this all so interesting because Sarah seems to think she is such a fuckin fantastic mom. She's not so great. Luke still wakes up several times a night. He still uses a pacifier. He hits and throws things. He's a whiney brat.

I have never once given her a single piece of advice about anything, but I certainly heard quite a bit myself. There are about 500 toys Wyatt must have! All of them battery operated and plastic. Wyatt does have some toys like that, but I try to limit them.

I am developing a plastics phobia. I own that.

I also don't like the idea of batteries and plastic ending up in a landfill.

I am not saying he shouldn't have plastic toys. I just don't think he needs so many and I don't think that there is a perfect list of toys out there that every child needs. Frankly, Wyatt would rather play with my iphone or bang the computer key board most days. He loves the recycling and the remotes.

Maybe I am withholding. I don't know. I am really starting to second guess myself now.

Wyatt was actually scared of a good number of the toys she presented. In particular, a light up robot. He actually crawled away and cried. I am sure Sarah was thinking I was raising a wimp. It was something like the reaction at my parents' house with the Elmo. He was just so terrified and of so many toys. It was strange. I guess it was because he was in a new place.

I am actually really proud of Wyatt. He was very well behaved. He got cranky towards the end, but who could blame him since we were there much longer than expected.

I left the lights on in the car. The battery died. So when I tried to leave around four, the car wouldn't start. I almost cried because I did not want to go back to Sarah's. I am not on AAA anymore. Just Rus. Don't ask me why. Rus calls AAA to add me back on and tells me I can call them for a jump. Except I can't because it takes 4-8 hours to activate, so their "protocol" is to not provide assistance until membership activates.

Sarah has jumper cables and so do I. We have like three sets of instructions on using them. Sarah is too scared to do it. I say I have done it before, but she is afraid we will ruin one of the cars. She says all the instructions are different. I ask her if the order of the cables on each are different. She says no. I say, well that's really the part we need. She says one of the instructions say not to do it in cold weather. I say I think they mean freezing. Then we have to discuss whether our battery voltage is the same. I say mine is 12v. She doesn't know.

In the mean time, Rus is trying to send me directions I don't need. Sarah is the issue, not the lack of directions, but I can't exactly explain that to him without also explaining it to Sarah as well.

Finally, I see in the paperwork for our car that we have roadside assistance. I had totally forgotten about that. During all the calling Wyatt is crying and I can barely hear a thing. he wants to be held. He's tired and I think he just wants to go home.

I call them and one hour and ten minutes later my car is jumped. As soon as I get Wyatt in his car seat he calms right down.

The guy who jumped the car was funny. He asked me if I had turned the heater on yet. I said no and asked if it should be on. He said, "You have a baby in the car!" That made me laugh.

We make it home around seven.

Today Wyatt and I are hanging out while Rus starts some filming for his project. We are having a much easier time of it being at home.

Did I mention Wyatt repeats "Uh oh!" He doesn't understand the usage. It isn't spontaneous, but he will repeat it if you coax it out of him. It's one of those really cute things that I am sure gets old.

Tonight Rose and her granddaughters are going to babysit Wyatt. Rus and I will probably go out to dinner and a movie. Rose won't accept more than $30 for the twins combined. How cheap is that? Plus, she kept bugging me about babysitting Wyatt. I didn't even have to ask. It helps to have such a frickin cute kid.

The only thing about babysitting is that people come in your house. They see how dirty it is. You end up having to clean. I am not sure it is worth it.

1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.