Sunday, March 27, 2011

Bad habits

Besides art work, Wyatt has been feverishly working on puzzles lately. In particular, we likes his four-piece alligator and four-piece duck puzzles. They aren't the kind you pull out of a frame, they are the cardboard kind. He really works hard to make them fit. I think it has been a great fine motor exercise for him.

Wyatt has been trying to give up his afternoon nap on the weekend. Problem is he's a raging lunatic by 3 if he doesn't take one. I tried to get both the boys to take a nap in the bedroom yesterday. I put Seth in the crib and told Wyatt to lay down. After about a hour of chasing Wyatt back to the bed and trying to comfort Seth in to laying down I gave up. I think that the crib seems too foreign to Seth right now. When he wakes up from a nap in there he is pretty hysterical as opposed to the pack and play where he wakes up pleasant.

On the other hand, Wyatt has been waking up in a good mood in the morning. This morning he told me he had a good sleep. He has stopped calling for me in the middle of the night although he does talk and cry in his sleep. It's hard to know if he is awake or not. I generally give it a few minutes to see how persistent he is.

Seth on the other hand is getting worse. He now wakes up around 1am and then around 6am. The 6am is OK. The 1am is not working for us. We toy with the idea of sleep training, but then we never quite know if he has an ear infection or not. I suspect it is habit because he takes a couple of ounces of milk and then goes back to sleep most nights. We should stop feeding him at night. I know. I really know. The short-term need to get him down has outweighed the long-term need to break the habit so far.

Seth has been walking holding on to fingers. Actually more like walking by leaning on to hands. I put him on Wyatt's sit and ride truck this morning and he loved it. He seemed to realize he needed to move his legs to make it go, but he couldn't quite get it so I pushed him along very slowly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.