Sunday, September 21, 2008

Fiasco of sorts

The overnight was miserable. First, the replacement Kangaroo Joey feeding pump came later than expected. Than they guy who brought it didn't know how to use it. We once again thought it wasn't working and sent it back. So instead of us learning how to use the pump we will have at home, they used the regular NICU pump which meant that the feed had to be broken in to two syringes. We had to get the nurse to run the pump. She also had to come in for Wyatt's assessment and the phlebotomist came in to take his blood around 5:30AM.

I mixed one of Wyatt's meds and gave him that. We mixed the Poly-vi-sol multi-vitamins with some breast milk and pumped that in. He ended up spitting up several times after the vitamins. We had to change him. He was really fussy and moved around a lot. Then I had to pump. At around 4AM (this all started with a dose of Reglan at 11:30AM), I was ready to go to sleep. I had maybe one hour of sleep before Wyatt started getting upset.

Then Rus took over with the 5:30AM reglan dose and feedings at 6AM. At around 6:30AM I heard Wyatt sneezing and thought he spitup again. Rus went over to find him with his tube part of the way out and the pump still running. Clearly, you can't leave him while he is feeding.

The nurse came in and helped Rus. He told me not to worry and go back to sleep. I really couldn't though. If I got two hours of sleep I would be surprised. We left NICU at 8AM. Had a short nap and went back for the 2PM feeding. Came home around 4PM and we go back for the 6PM feeding. I will try my hand at setting up the Kangaroo Joey.

We still try and bottle feed, but he keeps falling asleep shortly after I start. I am hoping that changes when he comes home and we can catch him as soon as he gets up, not when we just happen to be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.