It's been a crazy week. Last night Wyatt breathing sounded more labored and "wet" to me. I mentioned this to Sherry, his nurse, and she said it was all upper airway. So, I took that to mean don't worry about it. I did though. And Wyatt had a whole lot of trouble falling asleep. I was holding his pacifier in his mouth, and he was grasping my finger. I thought he was asleep but when I would pull away my finger and his pacifier fell out of his mouth, he would scream.
This morning when I talked to Pat she mentioned his breathing. She said it was loud and that Wyatt didn't seem right. She had mentioned this to the residents and was waiting for them to come by and make a change. She thought that they would probably put him back on diurectics because of his breathing and his sudden big weight gain since he had been off the diuretics.
When we went in to NICU we found out that an ENT specialist was also coming in to see Wyatt. Later in the day we got the results of his examination. I was getting my hair dyed, so I wasn't home when the doctor called. Rus was home though and filled me in when I got back 10 minutes later.
Wyatt has a cyst of the vallecular space. It is quite large and needs to be drained. They plan to perform surgery tomorrow, but we don't know what time. It will have to be done under general anesthesia. They think that this cyst is impacting his ability to use his tongue (which might explain his issues with suck-swallow-breath). The doctor has no way to know how the cyst got there or how long it has been there.
When Rus started to tell me my heart sank. I don't want my little guy being put under general anesthesia! I am trying to remain hopeful though that this could explain many of Wyatt's problems since it interferes with his tongue and may cause breathing problems.
Tuesday, September 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.