Saturday, August 30, 2008

Empty bottle

Rus and I went in this morning for Wyatt's 6AM feeding so we could observe Jeanine feed him. She basically uses a squirt in his mouth, let him suck, wait for him to swallow and then squirt again. She stops frequently for burping. It was actually kind of terrifying for me to watch as I kept thinking he was going to choke. It is really more like a drip than a squirt and he never choked.

Pat came in around seven to start her shift and she talked to Jeanine. She had some of the same concerns I had about choking the poor guy. However, for his 2PM feeding she started feeding with him pressure on the nipple reservoir when Wyatt started to suck. She burped him often and he burped soooooo loud! The other nurse in the room was impressed. Wyatt also farted and pooped while he was on Pat's lap.

He started to get sleepy so she had me change him and take over feeding. Not two minutes in to me feeding him, he had a spit up, but out his nose. I panicked a little. I did grab the bulb and try to get out the liquid. Pat got out the little sucker and sucked out the rest of his nose. Pat told me not to be scared and to keep feeding him. I was terrified, but I calmed down and finished feeding him his bottle.

It was a really good feeling to see an empty bottle in my hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.