Wyatt was doing well today. His color was good. He gained 100 grams (and probably pooped out 40 grams later). I tried to breastfeed a little and we did OK. We tried the "My Brest Friend" pillow. No, I didn't misspell that. It's really called that. I think I will bring my Boppy pillow in and see how that works. The lactation consultant suggested I try to stick with one breastfeeding position, but of course, I didn't. I like to use football so his head is more elevated, but after a while he started screaming so I just held him. From that position it was easier to do cross-cradle. So I just put him in cross-cradle. That didn't last long though. So, he got his pacie.
Eventually, he started to desat, so we put him back (as hard as it was). I think he was tired of being handled. Plus, earlier Pat was trying to clean his face and he was pretty mad about that. I could hear him howling from the pumping room. I think he just gets tired sometimes. As soon as we put him back and bundled him up, his oxygen saturation came back up.
I asked Pat about Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia since some of his treatments are actually used for that, but she said he isn't anywhere near that sick. That made me feel a lot better. We didn't stay for rounds today because Rus wanted to get back and move some furniture. He already cleaned out the dresser. So, who am I to stand in the way of progress. Plus, Wyatt was sound asleep at that point.
Pat suggested that we get a mirror to put up in his bassinet so he can look at himself. Like a little budgie.
He really is so cute. I think that his hair is auburn. I can't remember if I already said that. I wonder if it will stick. . .
Yesterday, when we were there I ended up getting pretty worked up. I think that there were four babies in room Wyatt was in that were being discharged. The worry was getting to me, NICU was getting to me. I stayed a long time and held Wyatt. He did really well. Pat pretty much was about to make me put him back. I really didn't want to. I had to have Rus come back for me. I just needed that extra time with him yesterday. I noticed in Pat's notes there is a sentence about ". . . mom getting teary-eyed when talking about baby." It's weird to read notes about yourself. There are notes from the MSW and the doctors.
Every assessment the nurse does there are boxes to check off if I visit, if Rus visits, if we kangeroo hold, if I pump or breastfeed. Pat generally writes that we visited and asked appropriate questions in the comments section.
Anyway, it was nice to see Wyatt looking so well and so alert. It was also nice to see him get upset. I think that means he is feeling better. It's certainly better than lethargic.
Thursday, August 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.