Wyatt is now 5lb 8.7oz.
Wyatt was well this morning. He cries a lot more now, which is fine. I just get confused some times because I don't know what his "normal" behavior is really and the doctors are always looking for out of the ordinary behavior to inform his care. He has days where he is quiet and days where he is "cranky." So now he is in a cranky period I guess? Or is cranky his real behavior and it was masked because he didn't have enough energy to put up a fuss before.
When I came back from my second pumping, Grandma Patricia was there, which is amusing. It's amusing because when we came in to the fourth floor that morning, Rus was sneaking up behind two people in the waiting room that he thought were his parents. I knew that they were not my in laws, but I didn't stop him. Unfortunately, he realized his mistake before any damage was done.
Rus broke his poopless diaper streak this morning. Although it was not a blow out, there was still poop. Unfortunately, when it was my turn later, there was even more poop. Rus kept telling me to scrub, but I wasn't about to get too abrasive with Wyatt's delicate bits. Wyatt took it well until it started to go on too long, but he had poop every where and he peed on himself. That did not help matters.
Wyatt was really eager to breastfeed this morning, but quickly became annoyed. Nurse Nancy suggested a consultation with lactation. Yes, again. I really feel like the nurses and LCs are not on the same page at all. The LCs are like "Oh, it's recreational. There isn't really a right or a wrong. Just keep trying." The nurses are like,
"You are doing it wrong.
"Wait until he calms down and try again."
"Did he latch?"
"Did he suck?"
"Can I touch your breast?"
I think I may really enjoy bottle feeding. I almost dread breastfeeding now. I really do and that is so sad. I had such high hopes for being able to bond with Wyatt through breastfeeding. I mourned the loss of possibility of breastfeeding because of the cleft palate. Now it seems like a chore that involves too many people getting in our business.
Saturday, August 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
If you can, just keep pumping and nursing Wyatt for now because you will probably find it easier and more relaxed once he comes home (with only Jane to supervise)! You can always use a bottle if it becomes necessary in which case you will be holding and cuddling him anyway.
ReplyDeleteIf you have a little tape recorder perhaps you can record Wyatt's cry and play it for Jane so she gets used to it.