Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Rough Night

He had a really rough time at our evening visit. We were there from about 6-9:30. He didn't sleep the whole time. He just didn't seem right. He ended up having a super-poopy blowout and pooped three diapers within about 30 mintues.

His nurse who was new to Kaiser NICU and new to us drove us nuts. We wanted to put him back, but he wasn't settling down, so she took him out again and gave him to me. He desatted, I wanted to put him back. We swaddled him, but then she wanted his temperature taken. So we did that, and then swaddled him. She didn't like that reading, so she took his temperature again. Then she wanted to take his blood pressure and change his probes. I know she has to do those things, but couldn't she have waited? He had been awake for three and a half hours! She just wouldn't let him be and he was becoming hysterical. I thought Rus was going to yell at her. I wanted to leave because it was just making me upset to watch and I could tell Rus was close to losing his patience with her.

Pat always talks about cluster care and getting everything done quickly at the same time. Apparently, this nurse missed that lesson.

We did feed him from his bottle, but we let him go too long and he got super-tired. I thought for sure he would sleep, but I think he needed to poop so bad he just couldn't settle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.