Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Trying 2L again

They are going to try and lower Wyatt to 2L today and see how he does. I am so nervous for my little guy. We go back at 3PM to meet with the OT and try to bottle feed him again so we will find out how he is doing then.

Apparently, he had one apnea last night. I think that is unusual though . . . I will have to quiz Pat tomorrow. This morning he had a nurse I hadn't met before, Grace, but apparently she has had him on night shift before because she mentioned he pulled out his gavage a couple of nights ago. (It also came out last night when I moved him to let Rus hold him. Bad mom!)

He gained 5 grams since yesterday, so not much. Grace gave him a sponge bath before we got there and I think that wiped him out a bit. He was awake, just looked lethargic. He would close his eyes for a while and just open one little winky eye to look up and see who was there holding him. He's just so cute.

Grace gave us another piece of advice, seemly contradictory, but maybe not. She thought he was desating because we had given him the pacifier and he hadn't had time to recover from breastfeeding. I found that slightly strange advice since we were told to give him a pacifier after he used the bottle yesterday right away.

We are definitely going to take the day off this week. Hopefully Friday. I may go insane if we don't.

Francie stopped by yet again. She asked how breastfeeding was going and asked if I was getting too much pressure to breast feed. I said it really depended on the nurse, but I was OK with it. I am not sure I really am, but I have decided it is easier to just go along then try and convince anybody there otherwise (unless I thought it was harmful to Wyatt of course). Some of them just don't stop once you tell them you aren't interested in breast feeding. Even the nutritionist was on me about using breast feeding as a way for bonding, which is something I am concerned about.

However, I have to wonder though (and Elizabeth kind of alluded to this the other day) that having negative breast feeding experiences might be worse for him. That's why I am so careful to stop when I see he is getting frustrated. That only takes about 4-5 minutes.

My real hope is that even a tiny bit of breast feeding will help me keep my milk supply up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.