We talked to Debbie this morning and she mentioned Chronic Lung Disease (aka Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia). I just knew it. I asked Pat about it before, but she told me he isn't that bad. I think she keeps things from us sometimes. The treatment they have been giving him is right there in the NICU book under BPD.
The whole conversation started because Debbie is doing a presentation on issues parents face in dealing with NICU. We talked about that for a while. We mentioned the noise, the space, the monitors and a lack of understanding about the policies. Like we found out only recently they don't want us reading the charts. (Boy that pissed me off for days.) I also told her I really had no idea how Wyatt was doing anymore even though I was there for rounds almost every day. I hear how many desats, apneas and bradys he has had but I don't understand whether he is making progress or not. Then I cried. Then I made Debbie cry and she hugged me. Then Rus handed out dry wipes.
She said that they are a little worried about Wyatt because his progression is now outside of the norm. She said he has Chronic Lung Disease. They were afraid of worrying us by discussing it. They talked about him at their last discharge planning. She doesn't think that he will have to go home on oxygen or with a feeding tube at this point. He may have to have diuretics when he goes home. They don't really understand what is going on with him. His lungs don't look that bad on x-ray. She would guess it would be 2-4 weeks after his due date that he comes home. That is kind of what I thought - the end of September.
Anyway, we are going to meet with one of the doctors tomorrow. I don't remember his name, I don't know who he is.
A PT came by to nipple Wyatt, but he had already been up for two and a half hours by that point so he was pretty tired. We did not have much success.
Wednesday, August 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.