When we went back for the 3PM appointment with the OT, Amelia, Wyatt had been on 2L since 11AM and was doing well. Apparently, he was wide awake for his noon feed, but was totally out for the 3:30 feed. Sherry had already changed his diaper and taken his temp. So, Amelia had me pick him up and try and feed him. He was so sound asleep we ended up having to try and wake him up. She apparently wanted me to try and move him around a bit to wake him up, but I just patted him on the back on my shoulder, which didn't help matters.
In typical Wyatt fashion, he pursed his lips and wouldn't budge to open his mouth. Amelia tried having me swap the bottle after he sucked a pacifier for a minute. She tried massaging his mouth first. She tried to be encouraging.
I couldn't get him to feed from the bottle. I got the bottle in his mouth briefly, but he seemed upset and I took it out. Amelia took him and eventually he did feed from the bottle. He pooped out at about 10ML again.
I can't believe how hard it is to feed a baby. Or at least feed Wyatt. I feel totally overwhelmed. I am sure it will get easier, but I had no f-in' idea what I was doing. I am supposed to stick my finger in his mouth and massage the roof of his mouth to stimulate "non-nutritive" sucking first. Then if he has his tongue pointed up, I massage that down. Then it he doesn't suck, I am supposed to massage the roof of his mouth again, or maybe his tongue. I can't even remember anymore. I wasn't being quite forceful enough with getting the bottle in his mouth.
It seemed so much simpler yesterday. Probably because he was awake.
Amelia doesn't work tomorrow, so the physical therapist will try and be there for his noon feed. Rus may have to go in to EA, so it will be trying again to feed my little guy.
All of this left poor Wyatt very tired and cranky. He also had a massively poopy diaper. He was annoyed with that, but also annoyed with me changing it. Then he had to have his nasal cannula fixed and one of his buttons removed (sticky things that hold the tubes in place). I am afraid he is going to be so pooped he won't last on the 2L.
I will have to call later and find out.
I have to say that I am so tired of his nose prongs coming out of his nose. When we tell the nurses they are coming out they try to just stick them back in. Like we didn't already try that. Or they just slap another piece of tape over it. Why can't they get the damn things centered in the first place? Actually, they seemed good a couple of days ago. Wyatt does like to pull them out too. I just want to give him the best chance to remain at 2L.
Wednesday, August 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.