Sunday, May 15, 2011

Transition to School District

When Wyatt turns three, services are no longer the responsibility of the Regional Center, but of the school district.  So, we had the first meeting to transition to the OUSD. The district has agreed to evaluate his speech and oral-motor.  Other than speech I don't think that the school does much.  If he is evaluated before he turns five and doesn't need services, his case is closed and he enters kindergarten with a "clean slate."  If he still needed speech then the paperwork follows him.

Services would be provided at our local elementary school - Lakeview until we move.  They have 60 days from that first meeting to evaluate him.  I am interested to hear what they say since I feel like reports have been conflicting.  I, personally, am not worried about his speech.

Interestingly, the woman I met from the school district is a speech pathologist.  I talked about how he eats mostly soft stuff or things that kind of melt in your mouth.  She recommended letting him shew gum, jelly beans of licorice.  In moderation of course!  She also mentioned thick liquids with a narrow straw.

So, I decided to get him some gummy bears from Trader Joe's.  The stinker ate quite a few.  He is also insisting on eating pretzels at every meal.  I am starting to think he is just a really fussy little pain in the butt whose parents let him get away with too much.  Grr . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.