Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Visit with Dr. Malhotra

We had a good visit with Dr. Malhotra today.  Some how I managed to get Wyatt to stand on the scale.  He's 35lbs with his shoes on. Getting him measured was a challenge too.  When the nurse pulled down the measuring mark to his head he split.  She finally used a pen to mark his height.  He's around 28 3/4".

Dr. Malhotra asked about gross motor and speech.  I said his balance was much better, but he still seemed to fall a bit more than his peers.  I gave him the run down about Wyatt's speech assessments and the varying opinions.  Dr. Malhotra at first thought Wyatt's articulation was poor.  Wyatt was being rather shy and quiet a first.  Dr Malhotra said it wasn't cognitive clearly, just Wyatt was having trouble forming words.  Later when he had Wyatt walk and Wyatt was feeling more confident, Dr. Malhotra thought Wyatt was more understandable and within the normal range.

He thinks that Wyatt's gait and stance is normal.  Wyatt moves very normally.  What I perceive as a balance issue might just mean Wyatt is more on the klutzy side of normal.  Like me.  (He probably gets his poor articulation from me too!)  So, Dr. Malhotra said it was all good news.


After Dr. Malhotra tested Wyatt's reflexes (after doing mine!), Wyatt asked him to do the elephants in the book he was holding.  So Dr. Malhotra did.  Wyatt identified me as Stephanie, not mommy, which was strange, but funny because Dr. Malhotra couldn't understand what Wyatt was saying and I had to explain.

The next big things he wants to follow are potty-training and then the speech evaluation.  I had to admit that we sort of wimped out on the potty training thing and were waiting until preschool as they can help us with it.  Dr. Malhotra. wants to see us back in six months.


Dr. Malhotra knows the names of way more Thomas trains then seems right or proper for a neurologist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.