Friday, April 25, 2008

Surprise OB Visit - Posted by Stephanie Under Rus' Name

Wednesday night I went to sleep around 8 PM. I was woken out a sound sleep at around 11:30 PM by intense chest pains. I couldn't make them stop no matter what position I took. I was in so much pain that we nearly went to the ER, but by the time I was dressed it was starting to stop. That was about 20 minutes after I woke up. Rus figured it was probably indigestion. I wasn't sure what it was at first. All I know is that it was incredibly painful and very scary.

The next day I talked to my co-worker Sara and she mentioned that she had a similar digestion problem and in fact, the last time it had happened she had eaten pineapple. As it turns out, I had eaten pineapple that night. An anecdotal clue! I eat pineapple probably twice a week, but that night I think I ate more than usual. So, heartburn seemed like a very plausible cause.

Still, I felt like I should call the Kaiser advice nurse so she could at least tell me what to do if it happened again. Instead I was told to go to L&D. I blanched and she told me they would make an appointment with an OB. I should mention I had also noticed some scant bleeding in the bathroom, but I was pretty sure it was not vaginal.

I ended up with a vaginal and rectal exam which showed no bleeding and no hemorrhoids. I was sent for an EKG (which was normal) and urinalysis (to rule out a UTI). I have to follow up with my PCP next week. Hopefully, I can get this all sorted out before NY.

I did get to hear FM's heartbeat, which was music to my ears.

1 comment:

  1. Glad all is well, no more pineapple for a while. Perhaps its a good thing you are not going to Hawaii! I really think the 3 of you need a vacation, and to my favorite city!
    Momster

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.