Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Starting day care

Wyatt started day care at SmallTrans today. He seemed slightly out of sorts with the whole thing - like where am I and who are these people. I guess that is to be expected. Apparently, he and Luke hit it off and were playing together. Although, Sara informed me today that she would probably be leaving Pricing soon and Luke would be out of SmallTrans. That is disappointing. Sara and I are going to try and take the kids to Fairyland on Saturday.

The director, Vanessa, gave us a little run through and helped us put Wyatt's stuff in the proper place. She asked me as I was leaving if I was OK. She also commented how weird it was going to be for Rus.

And it was weird for Rus. I half expected him to spend the day diapering Jane and feeding her bananas. He didn't nap, although he wanted to and needs to. He is sick right now.

Wyatt didn't get as much sleep as usual, but he got more than I expected at 1.5 hours. I kind of thought he would get none because it would be too exciting. I guess it was only somewhat exciting.

I was just asking Rus why it was that children that are older and take their naps on mats don't just get up and run around. Rus remembers a fair amount about preschool. He figures he must have just gotten away with getting up during nap time, he doesn't remember. He does remember that you picked a blanket to lay down with, and the blanket had to match your friend's, but he doesn't remember why that was important. He also remembered that there was one nasty blanket you needed to avoid, but he got stuck with it once.

I think it is because they tell you that you won't get snack and peer pressure. I told Rus he was afraid he wouldn't get a graham cracker snack; that's why he didn't get up. I thought that was funny. He did not. Rus also ate the remaining graham crackers in the house. Makes it funny to me.

They give you a sheet at the end of the day that tells you how many wet diapers and bowel movements your kid had and when they had them. How many naps and when. What times they had fluid and what fluid it was. (They gave Wyatt water twice, which we rarely do.) And of course, what they eat and when. Wyatt ate all the green beans, chicken and bananas I chopped for him plus a six ounce jar of food, crackers and cheerios.

They said Wyatt was really good. When I came in to pick Wyatt up, I had a hard time getting his attention. He was on the other side of the room, standing next to a railing. When he saw me he smiled and crawled about half way to me. I met him the rest of the way. I kind of expected a more excited response. I just think he wasn't really clear what was going on. It will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow.

Rus showed up about five minutes after me (I saw him parking on the way in.) I was saying something to one of the women and I heard a very low, male voice behind me that I didn't recognize, and it was Rus. His cold has altered his voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.