Saturday, September 5, 2009

Testing

Lisa was here yesterday for our weekly PT appointment. She shared with us the results of the new testing using the HELP test (stands for Hawaii Early Learning something or other). She explained she only wrote down what she had personally observed this time and what he was solid in. He is behind in the cognitive area. She measured him at six months of age. I wanted to punch her. In the face.

I know that this is partially about finessing a way to continue services and many of the things he was not doing yet would be directly related to his hearing, but it infuriated me to hear it nonetheless. She says these are just things to be followed and not areas for concern. I am of course concerned because I have always been worried about cognition ever since Dr. Malhotra and Dr. Jennis put the idea in my head that Wyatt might have issues because his oxygen supply was cut-off in the womb. Add to that the whole genetic syndrome thing and it becomes something that weighs on my mind greatly.

Sometimes I think we should just tell all these "experts" to go to hell.

In reality, Wyatt is actually doing some of those things she said he wasn't, like recognizing family members, but even Rus and I didn't realize that until yesterday. He knows who mama, dada and Jane are. He also doesn't look for hidden objects (or things behind screens as they put it in the test). I am not entirely sure if he would do that or not. It was kind of weird because a lot of the things he supposedly wasn't doing, he actually did yesterday. The report was already in however. I am not sure I care if he is going to continue services or not.

I also left a message for the nurse coordinator with the NICU follow-up clinic. I would like them to test him too. I want a second opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.