Sunday, November 8, 2009

Walker

I woke up really dizzy this morning, almost like I had a hangover. Actually, it happened when I sat up so I spent around 20 minutes sitting up and lying down this morning. I felt dizzy at some other points during the day, but by about 2PM the dizziness was over.

Wyatt picked up a comb today and attempted to brush his hair. He didn't quite get the brush angled the right way, but he was definitely trying to comb his hair. It was pretty cute.

After last Friday's PT session, we have been using the alligator walker more often. Rus and my first reaction when we got the package from grandparents Mclaughlin was that Wyatt was going to kill himself with the walker. However, Sharon pulled out the exact same one at PT so we decided we would give it a try. He seems to love it. We started off by holding it while he walked, but after a while we let him go. He has become pretty good at turning with it. At Kaiser he used it out in the hall. I wish I could describe him, he was really funny. I laughed so hard I cried. At one point he was down on the ground and made a break for it down the hall.

Sharon thinks Wyatt will probably take another month to walk. She made him promise he would walk by Christmas for me. She said she would see him in a month, just to see if he has made progress, but once he starts walking she doesn't think he will need PT anymore. We can cross that off the list.

I did discuss the evaluation we had with the NICU high risk infant follow-up clinic. I said the report said "at risk," but didn't indicate in which areas. She looked up the notes and it turns out he is "at risk" in all areas. That was shocking to see. I happened to read the details of fine motor and the OT wrote he only rakes with his left hand and doesn't use pincer grasp. That isn't true and I am really surprised that is what she saw. Plus, Sharon thinks he is fine with gross motor so the "at risk" designation doesn't really make much sense.

Sharon did ask about speech and we told her about craniofacial and the high risk infant follow-up clinic evaluation. She said she could send for a consult with the new SLP in pediatric rehab. I said I wasn't sure. That I am getting a little tired of seeing therapists and specialists. She said she understood. I asked Rus what he wanted to do and he said "Sure." So, we will get a call for a consult next week. I guess it can't hurt.

And we continue specialist care tomorrow with Wyatt's opthamology appointment. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.