Well, I got Wyatt's cold. I am so angry with myself as I ALWAYS do something stupid and catch colds from Wyatt or Rus. Typically, by either drinking out of the same bottle as Rus or eating Wyatt's leftover food. What a dummy.
My mom is planning a memorial tree planning for David in El Dorado Park for the weekend Rus, Wyatt and I will be done in Long Beach.
I talked to Catherine Klumpp yesterday. I had left her a brief message saying Dr. Malhotra has raised the whole VCF thing again. That I wasn't sure what to do or really why I was calling except I felt I should talk to someone in genetics. She called the lab that did the VCF testing and consulted with Dr. Baker. The short of it is Dr. Baker doesn't think Wyatt has a syndrome. His notes actually said that developmentally Wyatt is within range of his adjusted age. I wish he would have just said that when we saw him instead of telling us stupid metaphors and talking about mental retardation. Catherine found out from the lab director that yes, the whole gene was not probed, only the major, most common deletions. So, it is possibly that one of the regions outside of the probe is missing, but the chances are small. Dr. Baker wasn't even sure what I thought I was going to do with the information. There is nothing else to be done medically that hasn't already been done. Catherine convinced him to offer the array anyway. I declined. She was actually surprised I declined.
We talked about the differences between doctors. That neurologists have a tendancy to over-test, particularly younger doctors. That Dr. Baker has seen a lot of kids, and he did not have any suspicions. I told her Dr. Malhotra wasn't really saying to do the testing. In fact, he recommended leaving Wyatt be for now. She said she could have Baker call Malhotra and find out what he was concerned about. I said I didn't think that was necessary.
Catherine asked if I wanted to consult with Dr. Bloomberg. I said I had considered it, but decided no. I admitted I felt I was making way too big a deal out of everything. I also said part of this had to do with my frustration of going around in circles with Malhotra and Baker. And Malhotra constantly ordering all kinds of crazy tests.
Basically, if the chances are so remote, and there is nothing to be done medically, and Dr. Malhotra has a propensity for addressing worse-case-scenarios no matter how remote the possibility, neither Rus nor I need to know. If Wyatt himself wants to be tested or if something changes that raises questions later, fine we will consider it.
I got a message today saying Catherine talked to Dr. Bloomberg and had some information that was helpful. I will try and talk to her tomorrow, but I doubt my mind will be changed.
Wednesday, January 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.