Sunday, January 3, 2010

Holiday summary

I can't believe it's been so long since I posted. We had our family Christmas here complete with homemade pizza on Christmas Eve. Wyatt got to open a couple of presents (just to warm him up). Rus wanted him to open everything that night, but I insisted that was just cruel. I told him about one time, when we were little and Christmas was on Sunday, we opened our presents in the morning and then we had to go to church. It was cruel! I would not have babbee open his presents and then have to go directly to bed! Rus and I opened our presents. Rus got me a replacement camera! Rus had to wait until Christmas for his PS3 as I hadn't gotten a chance to wrap it yet.

Christmas we opened the rest of babbee's presents via a Skype session with Grandma and Grandpa M. We had to wrangle Wyatt a bit to keep him on camera. Later we went to Josie and Vin's and had dinner. Wyatt decided that he had to go up and down the slippery wood stairs multiple times. Eventually, we left because it was getting late and too difficult to navigate the party with a crawler.

The next day Rus, Wyatt and I went down to Long Beach. We had another Christmas celebration with my family. We had roladen, spatzel, amazing gravy, red cabbage, red velvet. Uncle Chris made crazy avocado ice cream. I think it would have been good had he not used honey as the sweetener.

It was really hard not having David there. His absence is really felt when when we all get together.

The grandkids opened up their gifts in a flash. I had a hard time keeping up with who gave what. Just the other day Rus expressed concern that a hat with jolly roger had shrunk and wouldn't fit Wyatt's head. I had to tell him the gift was for the new baby from Kami and Eric.

The next day Oma, Opa, Rus, Wyatt and I went to the Aquarium of the Pacific. Wyatt seemed to really enjoy it, particularly the lorakeets. Those birds are sort of crazy. By the time we got to the puffins, Wyatt was starting to get tired. He was having a very cute moment with Rus, but in the five seconds it took for me to get out my Flip, he turned and I filmed around 10 seconds of Wyatt trying to hit Rus in the face. Around his nap time we left.

We left the next day. Long Beach airport was, true to form, a problem. Where Oakland lets us go by with our diaper bag unmolested, Long Beach insists on us opening baby food jars to test for explosives. The line to check-in, while short, takes a very long time to get through. Our bag was over weight. When I moved forward to extract 3 pounds from my bag the woman at the counter said, "Oh god, you're pregnant." She apologized profusely for making us take stuff out of the bag, but still made us do it (or else we would have been charged).

Tuesday I went to work. Wednesday Wyatt woke up very upsett and seemed out of sorts. He went to day care and Rus and I went to my OB appointment with Dr. Walton. Except it was cancelled. But not by us. The receptionist insisted on calling Walton and his nurse to straighten things out. I mistakenly mentioned that I was a Kaiser employee when she asked if I had to get back to work. Then she went in to overdrive trying to get them to squeeze me in. I really just wanted to leave at that point. Finally, I got an urgent care appointment with an NP. She listened to the fetal heartrate and I had my bp checked. She checked for an amniotic leak and I gave a urine specimen (negative). After going to the pharmacy I ended up getting to work at 11am. Dr. Walton called my cell phone and our home phone to apologize and offer me an appointment the next day (the one that should have been cancelled in the first place). He even left his pager number. But I didn't have any time to call or think about that because . . .

Rus went home and got two steps in the door before day care called and said Rus needed to pick up Wyatt since he had a fever. We ended up going back to Kaiser for an urgent care appointment. Wyatt only had a cold, with some wheezing they treated him for, but he was pretty miserable. His fever only broke on Saturday.

Since he was sick, we didn't go to the NYE party. I think I ended up going to bed at around 9:30PM. We also did not go to visit Roger and Ed because we didn't want to get the girls sick. I was also sick, but without a fever, mostly coughing. I actually think I got sick before Wyatt. I ended up with the urgent care appointment due to feeling gushing, mostly during coughing. (Turns out I am just incontenient. Hooray.) Wyatt slept poorly Wednesday through Friday night. He woke up because he couldn't breath through his nose and his mouth was dry. One night Rus was up with him for an hour before he got him back to sleep. Saturday morning Wyatt slept in until 8am.

So today Rus and I awoke with high hopes that Wyatt would be in good spirits since he seemed almost well. Well, more Rus did since he got up with him. Except Wyatt screamed and cried most of the day. He repeatedly tried to bite me, but only me. He demanded to be held, but only by me. Half the time when I held him, he wanted to be put down, then cried when I put him down. He laid on the floor and cried. I took him for a walk and he was OK. We walked around outside and he was OK. Maybe he is feeling as stir crazy as we are. It got so bad we resorted to letting him watch "My Neighbor Totoro" for a little while.

I glossed over my birthday! I worked. Rus got up with Wyatt (who got up at 5:20 I think). Rus got me emerald stud earrings. We had dinner at the Pyong Tofu House. I had red velvet cake.

I think I need to lay off the red velvet cake. All the red dye can't be good for FM 2.0.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.