Thursday, October 27, 2011

Ear infection

Wyatt had a very successful speech test on monday according to Rus.  I have only gotten vague information out of Rus so I don't really know but the SLP thinks he tested at or ahead.  She is going to send us a report.  She thinks he might have some air leakage, but it was hard to tell as he is congested (and that's on antihistamines) so she wants to see him again in six months to check him out again.  She sees no signs of autism.

Which is exactly what Dr. Saba said when I brought him in because his ear hurt.  (This is the same ear the tube fell out of.  The same ear with the "bug".)  There were no flags raised for autism in the paperwork I filled out for the developmental pediatrician either.  (Just gross motor delays we are already aware of.)  Dr. Saba said we can put it behind us.  I think she's missing the point.  I didn't really think that Wyatt is autistic.  It's never been on my mommy paranoia anxiety radar.  What I didn't like was getting a report with some half-baked notes from a complete quack with no explanation.  That is I guess something I need to explain in another post.

Tuesday morning Wyatt woke me up crying about the bug in his ear and it hurting.  He kept waking up crying about his ear.  I took him in to see Dr. Saba who said he has an ear infection and put him on antibiotics. We also got Seth a flu shot.  Wyatt was really concerned about getting another shot so he kept saying that Seth was the one getting the shot.  He had already gotten his shot.  He even referred to the "band" (band aid) they put on his arm.

Dr. Saba was running way behind.  We had the last appointment of the day and by the time we were done the pediatric pharmacy was closed and we had to walk over to the Broadway building.  Then we had a wait in the pharmacy because they won't mix the antibiotics until they know you are there.  The boys were nearly bouncing off the wall by that point.

Wyatt is getting really excited about trick of treating.  He changes his mind about what he will be constantly.  Tonight I pulled out the old costumes from last year.  Both Wyatt and Seth squeezed themselves in to the parrot costume.  Wyatt decided at that point he wanted to be a seagull.  Have you ever seen anyone dressed up as a seagull?  Tomorrow Wyatt is supposed to dress up at school but they have so many restrictions they are killing the fun and eliminating most of the costumes we have.  Parents are allowed to come but I never asked for the time off.  I don't know what I am going to do tomorrow.  Maybe I can get Rus to pick up the boys.

Meantime Seth has his day care party on Monday.  I think I might send him in the unicorn costume.  He looks ridiculous and I think the staff will get a big laugh out of it.  Or maybe he will go as the pirate or in Wyatt skeletan jams (another backup Wyatt likes to talk about.  I even got face paint in case he decides to go that route.)

The real deal is the homemade Totoro costumes we are working on.  They are basically painted tshirts, so I use the term "costume" very lightly.  I may attach ears to the shoulders with superglue.  We will all have a tshirt.  The idea was kind of inspired by Rus' Totoro tshirt.  Rus started on one of the tshirts tonight, but really we should have base painted the other two.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.