Sunday, January 18, 2009

RCEB update

We had two people meet with us to evaluate Wyatt. We first went through a history while Wyatt slept. Our case coordinator was not available, so we met with her supervisor, Sarah. The other woman we met with was Frankie, their staff physician. She went through the developmental tests after the history.

Sarah did not have the forms I had filled out and sent in. I had copies and she was able to locate them in the case coordinator's (Brook) in box. I mentioned that we had only gotten the forms the Saturday before the appointment and had mailed them back on Monday. She looked disgusted that they had been mailed so late.

Sarah first asked if we had any concerns and if we knew what their services are, what they do, etc. I said I was a little confused since when I called to see if we could get Wyatt evaluated the person I talked so said they didn't know what they would do because Kaiser was already providing services. I said we felt like we were being pushed off from Kaiser to RCEB and from RCEB to Kaiser. And there is Wyatt in the middle of all this. I just want Wyatt to get the care he needs. If anything, I considered RCEB a second opinion even if they weren't going to provide services. Clearly, Sarah was again disappointed we had gotten that impression from their staff.

We went over the history and discussed Wyatt's doctors. Sarah was surpised Wyatt hadn't been sent to an opthamologist for a screening. The notes from the doctor's indicated it was not necessary. Sarah said it was a shame they didn't get involved earlier because they could have helped us. That is disappointing to hear, but when Rus talked to them initially, we didn't even understand who they were or what they would do.

The history took about an hour at which point Wyatt started to wake up so they decided to begin with the developmental screening. It was long and very detailed, which is interesting because originally they said there isn't that much they can test in an infant of Wyatt's age. Makes you wonder what they do with a one-year-old.

Wyatt was in a very good mood when he woke up. He smiled at Sarah and Frankie and seemed genuinely interested in them. It was hard to get him to pay much attention to anything else. He didn't respond to the bell. He didn't really respond to noise when Dr. Saba shock something near his ears. I don't know what is going on with that. I think we will ask Dr. Malhotra about it when we see him in a couple of weeks.

Basically, the things that Wyatt seemed behind on are:

Lifting his head when pulled up by the arms. He still has a slight lag.

Reaching out and grabbing things when seated.

Starting to use consonants.

Those are the only things I can remember, but we will get a formal document in the mail in the next couple of weeks. Sarah felt we were good candidates for in home PT. She recommended once a week.

They both loved Wyatt. He was truly exceptionally charming at the visit. Sarah said that the PT would be thrilled to work with him.

After the evaluation, we worked on a Individual Family Service Plan (IFSP). Part of the plan is to come up with goals for Wyatt to be reached when he turns one. Things like catching up to his actual age developmentally by the time he turns one and working on speech. We will also get a copy of that in the mail too.

One thing I am not 100% sure on is if we definitely qualify for the PT now, or they have some kind of internal board case review process. I guess we will find out. We should be hearing from Brook, the case worker, soon regardless. Sarah indicated that she thought she could talk to the PT last week so that we would hear from her next week. So, I guess the means things are moving forward with the PT.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.