Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Some good work news (14w5d)

I called HR today to find out a little bit more about FMLA. I did find out about FMLA and PDL and CFRA. Needless to say it was very confusing. Part is paid by the state and supplemented to 100% through extended sick leave (PDL) and some is paid at 60%, which can be supplemented by PTO if I want. They don't have any written documentation available until you actually request a LOA. After that form is sent in by your manager they send you a packet generally within a day. That packet explains it all. Anyway, I asked how much time this all amounts to after delivery. She told me 4 months! I was only expecting 3! Plus with PDL, if I get a doctors certification, I can go out 4 weeks before my due date. Sounds fabulous! Also sounds too good to be true.

I am really excited because I wanted to find a way to stay on leave until the end of the year. I was contemplating asking for an unpaid leave of absence. It sounds like I won't have to! Maybe a couple of PTO days, which shouldn't be a big deal at the end of the year. Not much is happening anyway.

I told Rus my good news. He asked what about him. I think that he really wants to spend as much time on leave as he can. He seemed a little sad. I am not really sure what his company will do although legally he qualifies for CFRA and FMLA. He will just have to talk to HR.

The other good thing that happened is that management finally agreed to let Rachel move to our group so she can cover me while I am on maternity leave. Tina (my boss) and I have been trying to get Rachel on our team since the re-org happened anyway. Rachel is totally wasted where they moved her and miserable. They are also talking about getting us a couple of temp to hire people, which would really help.

Also, I contacted my friend Ramon. His wife works at BANANAS, which is a non-profit child care referral agency in the east bay. She told me about an upcoming "Choosing Infant Care" workshop and is sending me a packet of information. I have signed up for a workshop on the 19th. Seems a little early, but Ramon says it is never too early to start. I am going to try and meet up with them one of these days. I haven't seen their kid (Dexter) since last September.

In bad news - I think I have hemorrhoids. They were exacerbated by my walk to work today. I bought some witch hazel pads and more metamucil. Unfortunately, hemorrhoids are pretty common in pregnancy, usually towards the 3rd trimester. I guess since I didn't have morning sickness, this is only fair. A sitz bath is another treatment, but I am not real sure what it is except to say it involves a bath you place over your toilet and sit in.

I was just thinking earlier today that I am starting to feel less nervous about this pregnancy. Then I got home and saw blood and I nearly screamed. Thankfully it was not vaginal bleeding. Stupid 'rrhoids! It's always something.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.