Friday, December 5, 2008

Mystery almost solved

We think that Wyatt has been having trouble feeding because his bottle flow was too high. It is likely the nipple had just gotten worn out and needed to be changed. We will see how his next few feeds go, but since we have changed the nipple the two we have done have gone smoothly.

I really hope that is the problem because he was so inconsolably sad today after we tried to feed him. He was so hungry and just didn't want the bottle so he cried until he fell asleep. He woke up shortly though and I tried again with the new nipple and he finished that bottle with no issues.

It's funny I posted this question on this preemie support group about what could possibly cause a baby to reject the bottle and someone suggested I take him to speech therapy for a feeding evaluation. It highlighted to me that sometimes parents (myself included) with children who are premature or sick sometimes don't look for the simple answers. What would be the cause for a normal baby? In this case, I was looking for a normal baby answer though so the answer I got annoyed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.