Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Cranky Pants

Well, Wyatt officially has started his cranky period. It lasted two days and by today he was sort of back to his old self. I think that breastfeeding has really taxed his patience. I also suspect he hasn't been feeling well. Maybe gas, maybe constipation, maybe the fortifier they put in my breast milk. . . anyway, he was really hard to console. Luckily, Rus seems to have the magic touch these days. Or maybe it is that Wyatt has a tendency to have diaper blow-outs while I hold him and I change him before I give him to Rus.

Feeding him is complicated. I am always worried about him choking and everyone has an opinion about how I should hold him. I thought that this was just trying things out, but technique seems to be SO important to the nurses. Oddly, the lactation consultants have mostly left me alone, which annoys the nurses who all seem to think I need a consult.

I did have a consult with lactation yesterday, but at the time Rus was holding him. Basically, I was told to rest and have milk shakes (or smoothies) to up my milk and that I was just really practicing with the breastfeeding. I shouldn't have much in the way of expectations. It seems it is OK that some days he doesn't want to try it. So, why are the nurses so uptight about it?

If Wyatt was home I would have the time to just try things on my terms without scrutiny. I wish I could just get to know him without the interference. And the cords, those are getting to me too. Ever since they moved him the cords seem shorter. Having all this "expert" help is annoying.

I guess that there is more than one cranky pants in the family.

Wyatt is now 4lbs 12.5oz.

2 comments:

  1. I wouldn't want you to feel bad having to undergo "milkshake therapy" all by yourself, so if will make you feel better, I will be happy to join you! Mom

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.