Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Hello PICC line, goodbye UAC and UVC

Last night Wyatt had a PICC line put in. We were told that this is not uncommon in preemies and most of the preemies had them. (In fact, another baby bumped Wyatt to have their PICC line installed.) The line was installed in his right leg. I had hoped it would be installed in his arm because the distance to thread is shorter, but oh well. Because he was having the line installed Rus wasn't able to hold him before we left. Originally, the PICC procedure was scheduled for 7pm and I high-tailed it out of there so I wouldn't have to see anything. The procedure can take up to three hours depending on whether the line is placed with the first shot. Most of the time is spent creating a sterile environment.

I let myself get too exhausted yesterday so the thought of Wyatt having a PICC line was too much for me. I spent most of the evening crying. Once I start, there isn't really much to do but allow me to cry myself to sleep. I desperately wanted to go to sleep but was trying to stay up to get an update on Wyatt's procedure. Rus called to check on Wyatt at 9:45, but they hadn't even started the procedure yet. Rus told me to go to bed, but I didn't think I would be able to fall asleep. I tried laying down anyway and actually fell asleep in a matter of minutes. Rus came in later and woke me with an update. This update was repeated later when I got up to pump at one and was more lucid.

We had originally gone to the NICU early that day because I wanted to meet with the lactation nurse. I having trouble getting my milk to come in. I blame the stress. When we arrived the crano-facial surgeon was there to take a look at him. She told us that likely they wouldn't perform corrective surgery on his cleft palate until he was one. What a relief! I thought that they were going to want to do some thing in a couple of weeks or months. The thought of him having major surgery was terrifying. The down side is that it might be difficult to feed him either by breast or bottle. Although they do seem to have special bottle nipples for babies with cleft palates. She told me the nurses in the crano-facial clinic would be able to help me. So, since we ran in to the doctor, we don't have to keep the appointment on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.