We visited Wyatt this morning. His weight is up after a 140 gram weight gain as of last night (although we suspect he might poop out 50 grams of that). He now weighs 4lb 5oz. He might outgrow his preemie clothes before he even gets to leave! Nurse Pat told us we can bring in some shirts for him if we want to. Not all nurses are so amenable, but she knows it is important to the parents.
There were no more residuals during the night and none when Pat checked before his feed. I think he is now up to 20cc of milk. Once his feeds are up to 30-32 they will stop the IV nutrition. Also they reduced his liters, I can't really remember what exactly that means, I guess the volume of air he gets. In the next 24-48 hours they may completely take him off. We will see how he does. They tend to have to up the oxygen percentage when we hold him.
I quizzed the pediatrician on call when he came by. Mostly, looking for verification about not being able to breastfeed. It's funny both Wanda and Pat didn't think that he wouldn't be able to breast feed, but all defer to craniofacial. The doctor actually checked Wyatt's cleft. I thought when he asked if I wanted him to look he meant in the records. Wyatt sure hated being checked. He couldn't really settle down after that and we put him back soon after so he wouldn't get too stimulated.
I thought his cleft was in the hard palate, but it seems soft, although when the doctor checked he said it might extend in to his hard a little bit but it was covered by tissue. It seems that craniofacial hasn't evaluated Wyatt yet, but probably because they don't want to mess with him too much. The doctor asked if he had a uvula. Rus answered yes. I think I have seen it too. He also asked if it was split in two, which sometimes happens. We couldn't really answer that question definitely, although we don't think so.
Most of the rest of the visit was made up of farting jokes which questioned his parentage, poop analogies and sailor jokes. I spent a good deal of time trying not to laugh uncontrollably. No wonder he got so upset paired with the probing of his mouth.
We have decided to take the night off and see a movie. Yeah, that will work . . . I had Rus promise we would at least call in to check on him.
Saturday, July 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.