Despite being wrapped in three blankets, Wyatt's body temp wasn't particularly high (97.9) when we visited. It's high enough to be held, but he had so many blankets he should have been warmer. He might be headed back to baby prison. Oh well, it was a short-lived freedom.
When I tried to put him to breast today (for the second time, he got annoyed the first) he ended up spitting up all over my shirt. The first of many I am sure! After that I tried burping him. I got a burp, I put him down and he promptly fell asleep. So no more breast.
Rus changed his diaper today and it was superpoopy, but not as bad as mine was yesterday.
Grandma Dotty said her farewells and we dropped her off at Oakland airport for a 3:20pm flight. She is still there as of 6pm. All the Jetblue flights were canceled. She finally got another one way ticket on Southwest to LA, but she is standby for SNA.
Yesterday we had the family conference meeting with Dr. Jennis, Dr. Lee, Elizabeth (lactation nurse), Janet (SW standing in for Francine) and the dreaded Marie Waters of Craniofacial. Marie started out wanting to clarify what she said immediately and said I must have misunderstood her. Instead Dr. Jennis took control of the meeting and I started asking questions regarding whether Wyatt had any associated issues related to the cleft palate. They don't think so. Marie did apologize for asking about the recessed chin and said she shouldn't have asked about it.
I also asked about the decelerations and they don't think that they are an issue because he is doing fine and his APGAR scores were good. Dr. Jennis also suggested I follow-up with Dr. Walton about the placenta pathology and said he would call them (which he did because I got a phone call from them this morning and an appointment for the 29th).
Finally,
Anyway, no one thinks that Wyatt will be able to get all his nutrition by breastfeeding, but hopefully some. They also think that it is important to both him and I to try. I totally agree with that.
Dr. Lee did come up to me afterwards and asked if there was anything else she could do to help me and she didn't want me to be confused. She also said that they (her and Dr. Ruben) had talked about Pierre Robin initially, but Wyatt's intubation went easily and he doesn't have a really recessed chin typically of PRS. She said since they talked about it and ruled it out, it didn't occur to them to bring it up. I said I wouldn't have even thought about it except that Marie asked about the recessed chin. Dr. Lee was also going to look up a protocol for breastfeeding cleft palate babies.
Interestingly, nurse Pat said she heard that the meeting had gone "OK." I wonder what she heard. She had meant to come, but she couldn't make it.
Today grandma Dotty asked if Wyatt was having desat episodes because he has anemic and low on RBCs. Dr. Lee thought that was a very observant theory and could very well be true. Wyatt is on Epo for the anemia. She also asked if any medications I might be taking interfere with breastmilk production. Dr. Lee suggested I ask the lactation consultant and she would ask the attending. I guess I should have told her what I am taking.
Who's this "Dotty" person? Did Grandpa "H" put you up that?
ReplyDeleteGreat picture of the "Little Guy"!
ReplyDelete