You have to say that title as if you are Sean Connery. It's what Rus says every time I go to breastfeed Wyatt and it always sends me in to a spasm of laughter. We got to Wyatt this morning before his 8:30 feeding. Nurse Denise had already changed his diaper and taken his temperature. She said that Wyatt was up and angry that morning. He sure was. He was also really eager to try breastfeeding. We tried for a while and he did better than usual. I think he even latched on correctly a few times.
Unfortunately, he is also having a lot of desats. We talked to Dr. Jennis who told us it was just a wait-and-see kind of thing at this point. He is still little and these things take time. The diuretics didn't seem to help much. They are not planning another x-ray at this point. His lungs are just immature. It is just hard to watch and hear the alarm go off constantly. He doesn't turn blue or gray of anything . . . but still. Denise ended up turning his oxygen percentage up. She said she would try and wean him back down later.
I have to say that Denise has been really great in helping with breastfeeding too. More so than the lactation consultants. How's that for irony. I think that the lactation nurses are over-extended where as Denise has Wyatt and the baby next to him. That mother did come in while we were still there and then things were a little hectic for Denise, but with only one set of parents it seems manageable.
We were there during rounds, but again there isn't much new to report. We are staying the course for now. I have to say I really like Dr. Jennis. He is so mild-mannered and calming. He never treats us like we are idiots.
Despite "recreational" breastfeeding, my milk is not coming up. I have done just about everything possible to increase it but try reglan. I am thinking about it. I just don't like the sound of the side-effects - even if they are rare. I have to see my regular doctor about following me while on the meds, but the peris can prescribe it. I am not sure what to do because honestly I don't know how much longer I can keep up with his feeds.
Actually, they are adding a fortifier to his breastmilk to keep the calorie count high and add calcium and vitamin D. He lost a little weight, probably due to the diuretic, but he put on a half an ounce last night. Apparently, according to Dr. Jennis, he should gain between a half an ounce to an ounce.
Sunday, July 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.